Join +750K new investors every month who copy stock picks from billionaire's portfoliosSign Up Free

German manufacturing PMI rises for first time since outbreak of Ukraine war

Published 11/23/2022, 03:32 AM
Updated 11/23/2022, 03:41 AM
© Reuters.

By Geoffrey Smith 

Investing.com -- Activity in Europe's largest manufacturing economy improved in November for the first time since Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to a closely-watched business survey. 

The manufacturing purchasing managers index compiled by S&P Global rose to 46.7 from 45.1 in October, defying expectations of a further decline but remaining clearly below the 50 level that typically separates growth from contraction. 

The comparable index for the services sector also improved surprisingly, leading the composite PMI to rebound to 46.4 from 45.1. 

“November’s flash PMI survey doesn’t alter the narrative that Germany is likely heading for a recession, but it does offer some hope that the contraction in the economy will perhaps be shallower than first feared," S&P economist Phil Smith said in a statement. 

S&P noted that companies reported a clear slowdown in the rise of input prices that has dogged industry all year. It said goods producers reported an outright improvement in lead times on inputs for the first time since July 2020, thanks to "improved material availability."

That is consistent with anecdotal reports from individual companies such as Siemens (ETR:SIEGn) that showed a clear easing of supply chain bottlenecks in the last few months. 

Consequently, input costs rose at the slowest rate since the middle of last year, S&P noted.

"We'll still get a recession, but not a collapse," tweeted Commerzbank Chief Economist Joerg Kraemer, who put the improvement down to increased signs that Germany will get through the coming winter without having to resort to gas rationing. 

After much debate, the German government finally agreed on draft legislation this week that will cap household gas bills through the winter. Households and small businesses will pay a flat rate for 80% of their consumption, while remaining exposed to the market price for the remaining 20%. Industry will likewise be able to pay no more than 7c a kilowatt-hour for 70% of its consumption, paying the market price for the rest. 

Latest comments

Risk Disclosure: Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.
Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.
It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.
© 2007-2024 - Fusion Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.