Breaking News

Levels Key For BoE/ECB Rate Decisions

By Littlefish FXForexJan 09, 2013 05:57PM ET
Levels Key For BoE/ECB Rate Decisions
By Littlefish FX   |  Jan 09, 2013 05:57PM ET
Saved. See Saved Items.
This article has already been saved in your Saved Items
Another relatively quiet day with markets focusing attention on Thursday's ECB meeting.

Key Times: (all GMT)
  • 9:10 ~Spanish and Italian Bond Auction
  • 12:00 BoE GBP Rate Decision/QE Total -- Both expected unchanged
  • 12:45 ECB Rate Decision -- Unchanged
  • 13:30 ECB Press Conference
Although the forecasts for the ECB meeting are unchanged, several analysts have been calling for a rate cut.

The key to much of the action and potentially the outcome of January will however be focused on two key levels which we have slow ground to over the past few days.

If key levels hold then the chances are we will see a continuation of the broader Bull trend we have been seeing.

If key levels break then the chances are we are at a potential turning point in the market.

The key to many of these levels is likely to be contained with the markets views of comments from Super Mario himself.

If market believes Mario Draghi is positive chances are markets will push higher.

Last time out though Draghi was relatively negative on the overall outlook for Europe and with a continuation of poor data this may be the case for tomorrow as well.

What I would suggest though is that it is futile second guessing these things, let the market show you its hand then make the move.

Key level for tomorrow is the 1.3000 support.

If this breaks chances are we move lower, if it holds then we could be looking at a much larger move higher.

Today the pair dipped slightly but held most of its ground as the markets look for news tomorrow.

Having been unable to really push this week, my strategy is now focused on two things.

Rejection of the 1.30 handle will put me long for a move towards the 1.34 mark.

Break of the 1.30 handle and I will look for short entries.
Overall I still remain Bullish this pair until the 1.30 level breaks though.
<span class=EUR/USD Daily" width="500" height="374" />
COT pointing to possible future Euro strength still?
<span class=EUR/USD Weekly" width="500" height="390" />
Pound has struggled this week.

However it has managed to defend its key 1.60 level.

Like the Euro and its 1.30 handle the 1.60 handle in the Pound is likely to be key tomorrow.

If this holds then this downside movement may act as a retracement for a push higher.

If this level breaks (and we hold below) then we could possibly be looking for a much larger move lower.
<span class=GBP/USD Daily" width="500" height="374" /><span class=GBP/USD: Weekly" width="500" height="390" />
Aussie almost seems to be a running joke on its ability to hold its ground.

Charts are telling a couple of different stories at the moment.
Daily looks to be suggesting a push to upper resistance.
<span class=AUD/USD: Daily" width="500" height="431" />
Yet the four-hr. chart seems to be suggesting a move lower
<span class=AUD/USD 240 Minutes" width="500" height="312" />
And the hourly chart...well that seems to want to make pretty patterns.
<span class=AUD/USD: 60 Minute" width="500" height="388" />
I still believe we move higher here and with some brokers suggesting that retail traders are over 95% short this pair, feels like an opportunity for some easy bank profit.

That said, I don't see a good risk reward option at the moment; instead I will wait for a test and a signal looking short or potentially a break high.

Dollar again had a relatively strong day today.

However, potentially we are starting to see some signs of a turning point in the pair.

For now I would take this with a pinch of salt but starting to see signs of divergence which could be pointing to a move lower.

I'd like to see a clear short entry signal or a break and hold below the 87.00 handle before positioning short however.
<span class=USD/JPY Daily" width="500" height="374" />
<span class=USD/JPY Weekly" width="500" height="390" />
Pair dropped a lower again today but found support around the 1.24 handle again.

This now looks like a key level for the pair, a break below or hold above could set the short term tone.
<span class=EUR/AUD: Daily" width="500" height="374" />
Pair broke its habit of testing upper resistance today and put in a slight down day.

On the 4hr chart this pair also broke the Swing Low.

HUF will need to gather some more momentum for this trade to pay off and general Dollar strength/weakness could be key, however I still like this pair for a move lower.
<span class=USD/HUF: Daily" width="500" height="374" />
<span class=USD/HUF: 240 Minutes" width="500" height="312" />
Strategy remains the same as per Sunday night (6th).

Price action since has done little apart from consolidate as the markets wait for tomorrows risk events.

Another rejection of lower prices today does hint at the strength of support and therefore a break of this level lower would allow us to consider shorts.

Hold above and I continue to look for long entries.
<span class=EUR/CAD Daily" width="500" height="374" />
GBP/CAD pushed lower today but found support around the 1.58 handle. Again like many pairs tomorrow could be key here.

Either this turns out to be a fake break to the downside for a push higher or the pair will trace higher slightly before a move lower.
<span class=GBP/CAD: Daily" width="500" height="431" />
Pair moved slightly higher today off of a smaller signal yesterday.

Still like this pairs for a test of the 0.8475 mark before potentially a break and a move higher.

However given the move since the initial signal it is possible to minimise risk heading into tomorrow by moving stops up.
<span class=NZD/USD: Daily" width="500" height="431" />
Tuesday (8th) I spoke about wanting to see a break of the 4hr support for a move lower and we duly got that first thing today.

Pair moved slightly lower off of this but consolidated with the wider markets ahead of tomorrow.
<span class=EUR/NZD: Daily" width="500" height="431" /><span class=EUR/NZD: 240 Minutes" width="500" height="312" />
Pair stopped out today for a small loss
<span class=USD/SEK: Daily" width="500" height="431" />
Levels Key For BoE/ECB Rate Decisions
Levels Key For BoE/ECB Rate Decisions

Add a Comment

Comment Guidelines

We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind: 

  • Enrich the conversation
  • Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
  • Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
  •  Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
  • NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
  • Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
  • Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
  • Only English comments will be allowed.

Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.

Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
Post also to:
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Thanks for your comment. Please note that all comments are pending until approved by our moderators. It may therefore take some time before it appears on our website.
Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
Post 1000
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Report this comment

I feel that this comment is:

Comment flagged

Thank You!

Your report has been sent to our moderators for review
Add Chart to Comment
Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.
Continue with Google
Sign up with Email