© Reuters. Amazon Prime casts a large shadow in grocery sector
- The grocery store sector is on alert as new discounts from Amazon ( +0.8%) aim high and low.
- Amazon has widened the scope of its Prime program to include low-income consumers, with some programs for consumers on government assistance as low as $5.99 per month.
- The deeper reach by the Seattle e-commerce giant is on top of the aggressive push at the higher end of retail with new Whole Foods perks for Prime members.
- Analysts think grocery discounts can go a long way toward justifying Prime membership's annual rate.
- Related stocks: , , , , , , , , , .
- Now read: Target: Chasing Amazon Is Taxing