Ellen R. Wald, Ph.D.

Comments by Ellen R. Wald, Ph.D.
3 Oil Price And Production Insights For 2022 From Dallas Fed Energy Survey Jan 06, 2022 2:18PM ET
I'm not sure how you could interpret this column as bearish. I gave 3 reasons why US producers look like they won't be growing production that much in 2022, which is a bullish indicator for oil prices. The price example I used was simply to illustrate how oil company executives are much more conservative in their oil price forecasts than financial institutions are, which I attribute to being traumatized by very low prices for years prior and then watching WTI go negative in 2020. The point is that people shouldn't assume that oil companies are basing their budgets/capital expenditures off of where oil prices are, or bank forecasts, but are actually using lower numbers.
The Current, Dominant Force On Oil Prices? It's Not Omicron Dec 16, 2021 9:32AM ET
Thanks! And thanks for listening - drop us a question or comment sometime if you are listening live.
6 Oil Resources For Staying On Top Of What's Moving Energy Markets Oct 27, 2021 5:52PM ET
Good question! Thursdays column will look at exactly this!
Oil Price, The U.S. Dollar And The Pressure Of Rising Inflation Mar 18, 2021 7:40AM ET
Historically, the numbers are still quite low. But the Fed is still trying to balance. There is also still pressure within the US in favor of inflation to help exports.
Oil Prices Rise On Vaccine Fantasy But Fundamental Reality Less Stable Nov 12, 2020 9:27AM ET
I didn't write the headline, my editor did.
5 Key Factors Could Signal Where Oil's Price Is Headed Next Oct 08, 2020 1:41PM ET
Thank you for reading!
OPEC+ Oil Production Cut Meeting: 3 Key Players And Where They Stand Apr 11, 2020 10:51PM ET
Sign up here: http://www.ellenrwald.com/energized-economy-newsletter/
9 Oil Supply Scenarios That Could Drive Prices Higher (Or Lower) Mar 26, 2020 11:48AM ET
I wrote about it last week - link in first sentence of article. Or try this: https://m.investing.com/analysis/oil-demand-signals-15-best-and-worst-case-scenarios-to-watch-200517221
Flawed Demand Forecasts Drive Oil Prices Yet Virus' Economic Affect Unknown Feb 13, 2020 11:41AM ET
Good question. Not up my alley, but good question.
4 New Risks Could Influence Oil Market Dynamics Going Forward Jan 23, 2020 3:48PM ET
Thank you!! I hate the phrase “going forward” for all of the reasons you mentioned (and more). Alas, I do not write my own headlines. Editors write them.
No Single Oil Producer Can Drive Prices Right Now. Here's Why Dec 19, 2019 12:35PM ET
Other than the temporary jump from the attack on Saudi oil facilities, oil sanctions haven't impacted prices this year. The US has sanctions on both Venezuela and Iran and neither caused an increase in oil prices. In fact, Phase One of the U.S.-China trade pact probably had the biggest impact on oil prices this year (other than the temporary effect from Abqaiq and Khurais).
Oil Market Math: How To Price In Mounting Geopolitical Threats Sep 26, 2019 10:32AM ET
Either risk managers or companies that write reports on global risk. In other words, these numbers are made up. It's not really a quantifiable concept.
Oil May Be A Bright Spot For The U.S. Economy Right Now Aug 29, 2019 9:56AM ET
Don’t call me a “chic”
5 Information Sources Oil Traders Rely On To Make Better Market Decisions Aug 22, 2019 7:18PM ET
Yes! Sentiment about US Frackers is definitely pushing the price down. Even when the global production numbers are down, say from OPEC, there is little reaction from the market because sentiment is focused on the shale boom.
5 Information Sources Oil Traders Rely On To Make Better Market Decisions Aug 22, 2019 7:16PM ET
That’s a really good question. I’d say that these days (the last few months) the numbers seem to have little impact on the market unless it tells them something about a potential recession or the future of US-China trade relations. The whole market is being driven by these fears.
Oil Hits New 2018 Low After Tuesday's Tumble: 3 Reasons Why Dec 23, 2018 8:31AM ET
I covered this in last weeks column: https://m.investing.com/analysis/3-key-issues-that-will-move-oil-prices-in-early-2019-200367620
Oil Hits New 2018 Low After Tuesday's Tumble: 3 Reasons Why Dec 20, 2018 2:26PM ET
I receive no compensation from any outside group for these pieces.
What's Really Motivating OPEC Members To Increase Oil Production? May 30, 2018 8:45AM ET
Thanks! Appreciate your comments
What's Really Motivating OPEC Members To Increase Oil Production? May 30, 2018 8:27AM ET
I did! Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/Saudi-Inc-Arabian-Kingdoms-Pursuit/dp/168177660X
2 Key Risks Could Affect Oil Prices In The Short And Longer Term Oct 18, 2017 8:32AM ET
From author: our understanding of how the situation in Kirkuk has impacted and continuous to impact the flow of oil from the region is changing hourly. Will post an update as trustworthy information becomes available.
What OPEC Can Do About Added Oil Production From Libya, Nigeria Jul 12, 2017 12:21PM ET
Wish I could...would love to travel there. Unfortunately not going to make it to that particular meeting.
Aramco's IPO: How Will It Affect Oil Markets? 3 Key Questions Feb 22, 2017 12:29PM ET
Thanks! more to come on this topic.
OPEC Production Cut Numbers Are In. Will Oil Prices Move Higher? Feb 08, 2017 11:33AM ET
Chart comes up on desktop version, may be an issue with mobile.
OPEC Production Cut Numbers Are In. Will Oil Prices Move Higher? Feb 08, 2017 9:36AM ET
Thanks. I'll see about getting that link fixed.
Aramco IPO: What's True, What's Not, What It Means For Investors Jan 26, 2017 8:17AM ET
Thank you! I'm glad to know students are benefiting. Investing.com also translated this article into Arabic - here is a link. https://m.sa.investing.com/analysis/إكتتاب-أسهم-أرامكو:-ما-هو-صحيح-وما-هو-ليس-وما-هذا-يعني-للمستثمرين!-200173555?preview_fp_admin_1234=this_is_1234